In the United States of America, Veterans Day is celebrated as a national holiday on November 11. It began in the 1900s after World War I. It continues to be a time when Americans honor those who served in the armed forces.
What is Veterans Day?
Veterans Day is an official United States public holiday. It’s observed annually (each year) on November 11. The holiday is a time to honor military veterans.
A veteran is someone who served in the United States Armed Forces. The armed forces include the Navy, Army, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard. These are the five branches of the United States military forces.
History of the Holiday
The holiday happens at the same time as other holidays, including Armistice Day and Remembrance Day. These holidays are celebrated in other countries that mark the anniversary of the end of World War I. World War I ended at 11 o’clock on the 11th day of the 11th month of 1918. When the armistice with Germany went into effect the war officially ended.
The holiday was first called Armistice Day. At the urging of major veteran groups, Armistice Day was changed to Veterans Day. President Eisenhower changed the name to Veterans Day in 1954.
Veterans Day Facts
- There are over 16 million veterans who served in a time of war.
- 2 million veterans are women.
- Three states have more than a million veterans! They are: California, Florida, and Texas[/one_half_last]
[thrive_text_block color=”light” headline=”Key Words”]
- Armistice: an agreement when countries decide to stop fighting.
- Veterans: people who serve in the military.
- Veterans Day: an American holiday in honor of veterans.[/thrive_text_block]
Veterans Day Questions
- What are a few interesting facts about Veterans Day?
- Who does Veterans Day honor?
- Why do you think Veterans Day is an important holiday in the United States?
- Why do you think countries will agree to an armistice?
[thrive_text_block color=”red” headline=”Veterans Day Resources”]
Veterans Day PowerPoint
This is a quick mini-lesson with plenty of visuals.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Veterans-Day-PowerPoint-grades-3-8-3484573?utm_source=TTE&utm_campaign=vd-blog’ target=’_self’ size=’medium’ align=”]View on TPT[/thrive_link]
Veterans Day Student Page
Vocabulary and concepts with printable 2-page text.
[thrive_link color=’blue’ link=’https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Veterans-Day-Lesson-4188903?utm_source=TTE&utm_campaign=vd-blog’ target=’_self’ size=’medium’ align=”]View on TPT[/thrive_link]