This Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres Scavenger Hunt is a fun way to engage students in using formulas to find the Volume of three dimensional shapes. Questions are open ended and help students build their skills in a fun and engaging way!Not all Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres Scavenger Hunts are made the same. In this post,Read More
( words) minutes to read
This Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres Scavenger Hunt is a fun way to engage students in using formulas to find the Volume of three dimensional shapes. Questions are open ended and help students build their skills in a fun and engaging way!
Not all Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres Scavenger Hunts are made the same. In this post, you will find:
- Ways to easily implement scavenger hunts
- Rigorous and aligned questions
Before we jump into details about this resource, I want to share a helpful teaching tip that works really well for teaching Volume of Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres.
Why Use Scavenger Hunts?
- It's physical and active.
- It's fun and engagement.
- Student receive immediate feedback with built-in self-checking
- It's a puzzle, so they learn the topic plus problem-solving skills.
Scavenger Hunts Made Easy
Scavenger hunts can easily be implemented in a variety of ways and places. Here are three ways that I have found that work:
- Put the students in groups of four and give each group a copy of the half page version of the scavenger hunt. This works well if you need to work with small groups or need less movement in the classroom.
- Hang a copy of the full page version in the hallway. Students can have a change of scenary, movement, and math!
- Feeling adventurous? Move the scavenger hunt outdoors! Put the scavenger hunt in plastic sleeves and place it outside. This is a great change of pace, especially if the weather is nice!
Need more ideas? Check out this post on How to Use Scavenger Hunts!
Two Formats Scavenger Hunt
Two easy to use formats are included in this scavenger hunt. A full page version can easily be used for whole class movement, and the half page version can be used in stations or small group math instruction.
In addition, a student recording sheet and answer key are included to keep student work organized and grading easy!
Rigorous and Aligned
Quality resources are hard to find! Our Cylinders, Cones, and Spheres Scavenger Hunt aligns to both the Common Core (8.C.9) and Texas TEKS (8.7A) regarding Volume in 8th grade.
Not only is this Scavenger Hunt aligned, but it offers students a rigorous approach using real world problems. Students will be able to use formulas and apply their Volume skills.
Scavenger Hunts are a great way for students to self-check and receive instant feedback!
Thanks for reading this post! If you enjoyed this preview of this Cylinder, Cones, and Spheres Scavenger Hunt, what would you change about them? What did you like about them? How will you use them? Leave us a comment or share on social media!