Why Teaching Strategies Matter
You only have 60 minutes, or 90 minutes per subject. You have a range of student abilities. You have too many standards to teach.
...Add on interruptions, social and emotional learning, and any mistakes that occur.
Strategy matters because it minimizes the impact of all of these factors.
Instructional Strategies. You know students learn best when they are truly engaged in what they are learning. The best instructional strategies give students the right opportunities to explore, analyze, discuss, examine, practice, and receive feedback on the concepts and skills they are ready to learn.
Teaching without Strategy. Every course comes with teaching materials. You are usually provided with a teacher's edition of a textbook or a website with resources. Teaching without strategies is the same as being a mail delivery...deliver the teaching materials to the students. You are more the Amazon Prime - you are a strategic teaching professional!
Close Reading for Elementary Students: Close reading allows elementary students to develop a deep and detailed understanding of the text...
Summarizing Without the Headaches: Summarizing can be so difficult for some upper elementary students to grasp! I think you’ll agree with me when I say...
4 Guided Reading Strategies: Here are four ways to blast out of traditional guided reading lessons and into next generation guided reading...
- SaveSaveSaveSaveDifferentiation Stations by Chris Skierski Suppose for a moment that you were teaching someone to ride a bicycle. After a week of teaching and practice, you …Read More »
- Back to school activities are important for building a strong class culture and engaging students in the right work on the first days of school! …Read More »
Spiral Practice vs. Massed Practice
Spiral, Massed, and Spaced Practice: Students need a variety of practice opportunities. Here are 7 ideas to help in the math...
Comparing Fractions Scavenger Hunt: Math teachers, you know that students need spiral review and much of the time, review of...
Join TeamTom Testers to find free resources each monthly to use with out strategies. Task cards, videos, test prep...
- Summarizing Video Lesson Bundle Get ready to take your literacy instruction multi-modal! This new summarizing lesson bundle has video, cartoon, guided notes, student talk, writing, …Read More »
- We are excited to give to you our newest FREE teaching resource to help engage your students and increase learning! Spiralwarmups.com. It’s word study bundled into …Read More »
Strategies for Engagement
Physical Movement and Student Engagement: Here’s one strategy – a very simple strategy – you can use to increase engagement...
Middle School Strategies for Habits of Mind: Middle schoolers are discovering their self-identity and increased social awareness. Here are 6 approaches that...
- How can we say thank you? One week for teacher appreciation is not enough! We’d like to add a simple thank you, for …Read More »
- Ever wonder what really separates great teachers from average teachers? It’s not: test scores office referrals content knowledge pedagogy That may sound strange to …Read More »
Visible Learning Strategies
15 Visible Learning Strategies: In our recent nine-week action research, students who focused on visible learning strategies outperformed their peers on district standardized tests - 200% more growth... Tap here to read more.
- Would a coach prepare a track team on a baseball field? Would a dance teacher prepare dancers at a library? Of course not! Then …Read More »
- You ‘ve probably seen the look on your students’ faces…that look of utter despair. Another test prep worksheet! Let’s say goodbye to boring test prep. …Read More »